What is your voucher code?
SBMS Mentor and on the advisory board for Diverse Communities and Social Services charity.
I am an experienced leader with communication, business management, people management, product management and mentoring skills developed over a career of 45 years. I bring a focus on delivering innovation through planning, design and implementation that leads to business success. I am passionate about making technology work for people and have played a part in the PC revolution, the rise of the Internet, the explosion in mobile computing and workplace transformation. I founded and successfully ran my own Internet start-up. I am experienced as an editor and writer with a best-selling book about the Internet. I have developed web sites and online businesses and have SEO experience. But in summary, my super power is communication.
Ability to found and lead a start-up
- Capability to found and run a small company
- Ability to motivate and guide staff
- Experience in hiring and managing resources to business priorities
- Produced much innovative content including Australia’s first online soap opera.
Effective influencing and communication
- Capacity to communicate effectively with and to influence people from different cultures
- Ability to operate at all levels within an organisation, working with all sorts of stakeholders
- Familiarity working with a wide range of external groups including clients, customers, partners, analysts and press
- Understanding and empathy with stakeholder’s position and ability to build consensus on required changes
- Proven ability to articulate clear messages
- Skilled workshop facilitator
- Skilled interviewer.
Effective written and verbal communication
- Journalist and editor on major daily newspaper (The Australian)
- Journalist and editor on IT specialist publications (PC Week, Australian PC User, LAN Magazine)
- Best selling author (The Australian Internet Book).
Technology driven transformation
- Experience and skill in working as a consultant in strategy, planning and design
- Ensure business and IT activities are well planned around innovation leading to real business results
- Work collaboratively with clients to identify their business needs and opportunities and respond in innovative ways.
Customer Centric Focus
- Experience in user segmentation and persona development
- Experience in user centred design
- Experience in working with customer at all different levels of sophistication.
Product Development and Management skills
- Developed products using the value proposition canvas
- Managed products and services through their full lifecycle
- Revised products to proactively ensure their match to current and future market conditions
- Developed streamlined and easy to use products and services that meet customer needs
- Managed a portfolio of products with other product managers reporting to me
- Worked with marketing team on product positioning and providing a compelling customer proposition
- Prepared to challenge orthodoxy to seek better innovation in order to deliver business value
- Designed and delivered training on selling and delivering products.
Key Business Achievements:
Founder Tech Talk Australia: Founded and ranan Internet start-up that reached a turn-over of $2 million with 25 staff. That company was bought by Com Tech Communications giving each of the founders share options in what became Dimension Data.
Australian Internet Book: Co-wrote The Australian Internet Book which sold over 70,000 copies of its first edition. This book provided a way for many Australian consumers to understand and use the Internet for the first time.
Product Management: Researched, planned, developed and managed a suite of products at a global level that led to over $US50 million in revenue and added additional business worth more than $US200 million.
Advisor Feb 2020 - Present (Governance, Risk and Compliance for DCSS Inc)
Mentor June 2019 - Present
Freelance Consultant May 2018 - Present
Dimension Data Group Consulting Director Sept 2015 – May 2018
End-user Computing Group Consulting Practice Director Sept 2010 – Sept 2015
Managing Consultant (Melbourne) June 2005 – Sept 2010
Senior Consultant (Melbourne) Feb 2001 - June 2005
Customer Engagement Manager (Sydney) May 1997 – Feb 2001
Tech Talk Australia Founder and director 1992- 1997
News Ltd Editor The Australian Computers and High technology section 1990 -1992
Australian Consolidated Press Editor PC Week, LAN Magazine, PC User 1985 – 1990
Australian Tax Office Programmer, Manager 1979 - 1985
- AICD Company Directors Certificate
- Design Thinking In Business
- ITIL Practitioner
- Leading SAFe 4.0 with SA Certification (SA) - SAFe Scaled Agile
- TOGAF 9 Certified
- Personal Effectiveness and Team Leadership
- Signature Selling Methodology