Business mentor and business and engineering consultant.
I have around 15 years' experience in business including an 8-year involvement running a home-based franchise. I am aware of the problems faced by small business in getting their product or service into the market place with a very limited promotional budget and the various avenues available, including guerrilla marketing. I also realized that I needed to develop broad-based business skills and become competent in all aspects of running a business. This provided the impetus to seek advice from other people in small business and also to start my MBA.
More recently I have been involved in the start-up of an internet publishing business. This lead to the development of many new skills: Initially I needed to prove the viability of the concept then find alliance partners in the publishing industry, secure seed (angel-investor) finance, establish a management team with the necessary skills, establish an advisory team of technical experts, develop business and marketing plans, develop the company image and culture as well as do regular presentations to potential investors, including venture capital groups. To help me do this I engaged the services of an experienced business advisor.
The skills I learned in this business I further honed in a telecommunications business start-up in 2003. This business is still operating today and I have an ongoing involvement with it on a consulting basis.
My career started as a software engineer in the telecommunications industry over 30 years ago. Since then I have also worked in power engineering, industrial automation and defence electronics. I have worked for companies such as Ericsson, AEG-Telefunken, Rockwell and Siemens.
I have spent several years working overseas in Germany and the USA. During the 1990s as a senior design engineer and subsequently project manager with Siemens I played a key role in the development of a range of network management products that have formed a large part of Telstraâ€™s Australia-wide backbone network management system.
During the 1990s I was involved in the running of the home-based franchise business as well as completing my MBA. With a strong desire to start my own business, in 2000 I left Siemens and started the internet-based publishing business working with a fellow student from the MBA course who had already taken a business through from startup to listing on the ASX.
Around 2003, I co-founded Kerem Technology, a telecommunications company that licensed intellectual property from Siemens to further develop, manufacture and supply network management and other equipment, primarily to Telstra. Since then the company has gone on to develop its own unique range of products.
I have been a business mentor with SBMS since 2008 and in this time I have seen several hundred clients across a very diverse business and industry base. Some examples are:
· Alternative healthcare
· Automotive parts design and manufacture
· Building automation software
· Business consulting
· Compliance testing and quality management services
· Education & training
· Electrical test and tagging
· Electricity metering
· Equestrian training video production
· Fashion / clothing manufacture and retail
· Glass ornament production and retailing
· Hairdressing services
· Security services
· Jewellery design, manufacture and sales
· Not for profit â€“ diverse range of businesses
· Organic retail
· Personal fitness training services
· Photographic studio operation
· Photography services
· Property services management
· Product launch
· Psychology practice
· Retailing â€“ gift shops, food, engineering supplies, toys, etc
· Skin product manufacture and retail
· Smartphone apps
· Software development services
· Theme park establishment
· Tourist map production and sales
· Transportation logistics
· Video production services
· Website production
· Wedding organisation
- Business Planning
- Public administration inc. Government relationships
- Tourism, hospitality, accommodation and food services
- Information media and telecommunications
- Health care and social assistance
- Retail trade
- Financial and insurance services
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and rural
- Professional, scientific and technical services
- Wholesale trade
- Education and training
- Electricity, gas, water and waste services
- Master of Business Administration (with major in entrepreneurship and innovation) Bachelor of Science (IT major) Diploma Applied Finance and Investm